Piano players are nice people but with a tendency for trying to gain control.
I guess a sound piece of advice from the trio ABASH is: ”Don”t shoot the piano player – if he gets in the way – just exclude him.”
Saxophone, double-bass and drums suffice and give a lot of more freedom. I guess it was Sonny Rollins who made this kind of classic saxophone-trio formula an intriguing success in the late 5O’s.
Excluding the piano player in those days wasn’t just a challenge for the performing artist but perhaps even more so to the public and I guess it still is.
From the performer’s point of view, although the format has become more commonplace the challenge still works as an enticement to creative and open-minded artists and groups like ABASH.
Even though the way of meeting the challenge varies, I think most groups relate to the Sonny Rollins experience in one way or another. ABASH does to a great extent – but in a very personal way. There is i. e. a lot of good humour and energy in their music, but they are no copycats.
Saxophonist Anders Ekholm doesn’t play like Sonny Rollins but he shares the same worship of the proud saxophone legacy and also brings it up to date.
There’s no reason for ABASH to be abashed. Unlike many of the more internationally well renowned ”retrojazzers” they actually contribute to the ongoing living tradition. And ABASH ”live”, like here, bring out the true excitement of their music. ”Live” is their true environment.
ABASH can also be heard on their debut CD
Dragon DRCD 249
- Record Company – Dragon Records
- Manufactured By – DanDisc
- Recorded By – Sveriges Radio
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Dragon Records AB
- Copyright (c) – Dragon Records AB
- Recorded At – Scharinska
- Recorded At – Jazzclub Fasching, Stockholm
- Artwork [Cover Art] – Sam Westerholm
- Bass – Tommy Skotte
- Design [Album Design] – Sofia Westin
- Drums – Nils Danell
- Engineer [Recording Engineer] – Magnus Bergner (tracks: 1 to 5), Pawel Lucky (tracks: 6)
- Executive-Producer – Leif Collin
- Liner Notes – Lars-Göran Ulander
- Photography By [Booklet Photo] – Leif Collin
- Photography By [Cover Photo] – Torbjörn Carlsson (4)
- Producer – Lars-Göran Ulander (tracks: 1 to 5)
- Saxophone [C-Melody] – Anders Ekholm
- Tenor Saxophone – Anders Ekholm (tracks: 3, 6)
6, Recorded at Jazzclub Fasching, Stockholm, November 7, 1995.On CD and folder: ℗ & © 1996 Dragon Records AB
On rear cover: ℗ © 1996 DragonStandard jewel case, with 4-page folder.